Western Sydney University
The University of Western Sydney (UWS) began operation on 1st January 1989, under the terms of the University of Western Sydney Act, 1988 which had been passed by the New South Wales Parliament in December 1988. However, the predecessors of the University date back as far as 1891 with the establishment of the Hawkesbury Agricultural College.
The Act created a federated network university, based on two existing Colleges of Advanced Education – Hawkesbury Agricultural College and Nepean College of Advanced Education.
Following incorporation into the University, the foundation network members were known as the ‘University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury’ (UWS Hawkesbury) and the ‘University of Western Sydney, Nepean’ (UWS Nepean).
The Act was amended by the University of Western Sydney (Amendment) Act, 1989 (Act No. 128, 1989) and the Macarthur Institute of Higher Education became the third University member on 1 November 1989. The new campus was known as the ‘University of Western Sydney, Macarthur’ (UWS Macarthur)
The single multi-campus University of Western Sydney has six campuses: Bankstown, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Hawkesbury, Parramatta, and Penrith.
Celebrating 25 years of UWS
In 2014, the University of Western Sydney is celebrating its 25th anniversary as a statutory institution. The University acknowledges over 200 cumulative years of bringing knowledge to life in Greater Western Sydney from our heritage and member institutions.
- School of Built Environment
- School of Business
- School of Computer, Data and Mathematical Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Humanities and Communication Arts
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Psychology
- School of Science
- School of Social Sciences
- Graduate Research School